Kids and Families Together Kinship Brochure
What is Kinship/Relative Care?
Kinship Care, sometimes referred to as “relative care,” is the full time parenting of children by grandparents, other relatives, neighbors or friends of the family.
These courageous, caring individuals have stepped in when parents have been unable to raise their children for reasons such as addiction, incarceration, military duty, physical or mental illness. This happens in all cultures and locales.
Many of these caregivers may be seniors, in poor health, socially isolated and/or emotionally unprepared to assume the responsibility of children who may have emotional and behavioral issues resulting from separation, grief and loss, multiple placements, prenatal exposure to drugs, and/or abuse or neglect.
The following services are available for Kinship Caregivers:
Kinship Support Services Program (KSSP)
Kids & Families Together provides Kinship Support Services through a contract with Ventura County. KSSP provides community-based family support services to relative caregivers and the dependent children placed in their homes by the juvenile court and to those who are at risk of dependency or delinquency.
Our program is aimed at helping relatives do the best job they can in raising these children. Services for kinship families include: support groups, referrals to legal and guardianship assistance, mentoring, and when funds are available: provisions for food, clothing, transportation, safety equipment, beds and furniture.
Kinship Support & Resources Groups
Under the KSSP program, we offer Kinship Support and Resources groups for grandparents, aunts, uncles, siblings, or other relatives raising children. This group is facilitated by professional staff and experienced caregivers who understand the struggles of raising the child of a relative, friend, or neighbor.
Where & When:
- Camarillo: 4th Wednesday, 6-8pm at 5251 Verdugo Rd. Suite G., Camarillo, Channel Island Social Services
- Oxnard: 1st and 3rd Tuesdays, 6-8pm at 2201 Jasmine St., Sierra Linda Elementary School
- Oxnard: (Spanish) 1st and 3rd Wednesdays, 6-8:00pm at 910 S. E St., Driffil Elementary School
- Santa Paula: ON HIATUS
- Simi Valley: 3rd Wednesday, 6-8pm at 3900 Avenida Simi, Simi Valley Senior Center
- Ventura: 2nd and 4th Tuesdays, 6-8pm at 856 E. Thompson Blvd, Kids & Families Together Center
- Thousand Oaks: 2nd Tuesdays, 6:30-8:30pm at 401 Hodencamp Rd., Senior Concerns
Please contact Noemi Hernandez (643-1446 x 125) for more information and to sign up.
Our program also includes counseling support and resources.
Click here for the Clinical Services page.